Christmas in July - Joy Wall Hanging with a Candy Cane Wreath



I have a huge empty wall above a too low fireplace.  It has no mantle or character.  Before you say-well go to Pinterest there are tons of frugal ways to fix it - it's a rental, so much to my dismay this is how it will stay.  

So to decorate for Christmas I had my husband cut some letters out of wood.  I know they are not perfect, but with each project we do he is getting better!  If you are after perfection you can purchase a wooden or cardboard letter J and Y from your favorite craft store.  I sanded and gave them a quick coat of red paint.  


To make the O, I took small candy canes and made hearts by putting them together and placed these in a circle on a parchment covered baking sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 5-10 minutes just watch it.  Early on it makes a cute heart wreath for valentines day, a few more minutes and you get this !  I love how you can still see the swirls.  Now set this aside.  WARNING!  It's is extremely fragile.  On my first attempt,  my daughter decided to help mommy and pick it up.  It ended up in two pieces.  The beauty of this project is if it breaks, back on the parchment paper and back in the oven for about 15 minutes.  A little pressing where it broke and back to cooling.  Once it has cooled, cover it with a coat of clear spray paint.  I attached a ribbon to the wreath and each letter for hanging!  Then I thought "well that looks a little plain". So I added a bright red bow.  

Merry Christmas (in July)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like high fives and are always appreciated to let me know you are checking this out. Constructive criticism is always welcome.