I did it!!! I made a Captains Bed!!!

Wow, what a day we have had...

I was given the day off work because it was slow, so I decided to make a bed that I have been planning since we moved to Nevada.  It all started with this plan from Ana-white.com.  If you have never checked out her site, go see it.  It is awesome!!!  This was what I wanted to build when we moved here.


But, DH and I decided to get a new mattress and gave our queen size memory foam to our son, so my plans got put on hold.  Well now he is in love with the memory foam and wanted me to cut the mattress to make the above bed or buy at least one memory foam for his new bed when I made it. 

He was not really wanting to downsize back to a twin even though he loved the plan and the idea of the two beds. So while I was out shopping the other day I saw this...


It has a double size bed in it and I said wow that would work, still giving us the under bed storage and shelves that I was wanting.  BUT, they only make it in twin or double. :(  So I go home and look online for plans...nothing!  So we sat down and brainstormed.  This is what we came up with.


Yup, that is our entire plan!  We very luckily made no cutting errors and even had extra wood to return.  Yes, we had to make some adjustments to what we were thinking would work as we went, but I think we had an EXTREMELY successful day.  By the time we drew up our plans and got moving this morning, and got back from Home Depot it was after 1.  We finished at 8 so 7 hours.  Not bad for people who have never built anything before.


I was too busy to take pictures, sorry!  But this is after we had painted and were getting ready to carry it up to the bedroom to finish.  DH is using the hairdryer to try and get the paint dry enough to not bleed onto my beige carpets. 


So we carried it up and put the finishing touches on it and DS is sleeping in it tonight.  We didn't get the headboard made, didn't plan on it for today.  We will get that made soon. The bed that was being sold at the store was priced at $799 for a double.  This queen one has cost us $155 today, $60 for the drawers ( had bought before when planning on making the other plan) and still have the cost of the headboard, but I can't see it going over $300.  So at least a $500 savings and some wonderful memories of building something for my child, with my husband!

Thanks for stopping by...Back to the Valentine's decorating now!

Sorry for the picture quality, there is a LOT of dust floating around here!

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. OMG This is AWESOME!!!! You must be so pleased! You can come to my house and build one for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is so cool! I'm so impressed. I'm hoping that my husband will make a bunkbed for my boys in a year or so. I'll have to check out that site you linked to.
    I know I'm extremely late, but I wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up for Feed Me Friday the other week. I'm following and subscribing back. Have a great friday! Come on over and link up today if you get the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to both of you, it was so fun and I am so proud to have done it! Amy- Ana White has all kinds of cool bunk bed plans, you will love it! Good Luck. I'll be by later to link up my homemade apple pie filling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you find the drawers? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry for the delayed response, the drawers were found in the clearance section of one of the local furniture stores sans the bed they came from. We are working on improving our woodshop skills, but until then, this was the best option for drawers for us.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like high fives and are always appreciated to let me know you are checking this out. Constructive criticism is always welcome.