Savings Saturday - Make your Own Apple Pie Filling!

I know that I have talked in the past about outside resources to save you money, but what about in the home.


One of the best things you can do that both saves money and is healthier for you and your family is to make your own "processed foods". Today I am going to show you how to make some apple pie filling. I love this recipe because it cooks in the crockpot, freezes beautifully and each recipe makes two pies.


I have a small crockpot, so this recipe goes to my size pot, you can adjust accordingly for larger ones.

Homemade Apple Pie Filling
9 apples (cored and sliced, I like the texture of keeping the peels on, you can peel them if you don't )


2 1/4 c white sugar


1/2 c cornstarch


1 tbsp cinnamon


1/2 tap nutmeg


1 cup sprite


1 cup water

Core and slice apples and shake in a container with sprite. Drain reserving sprite for later. Set aside.

 Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.


Add apple slices and toss to coat well, put into crockpot. 


 Take reserved Sprite and water pour over apples and turn appliance on to low for 4-5 hours.












 Check at four hours tosee the desired texture for your apples.


  It may still be a little runny, I scoop the apples out with a slotted spoon and then add the liquid as desired. Makes enough filling for two pies. And can be frozen for future use.


This costs me less than $2 a batch and I used pink lady apples. 1 can is currently selling in my local store for 3.79 x 2= 7.58 for a savings of over $5.


Give it a try and let me know what you think! Is there any particular food you prefer to make yourself?



1.
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. That looks way good I think I will try it. I am following you on blog hop hope you will take a look at mine and follow me back
    Marianne
    bondedwithlove.blogspot.com
    bondedwithlove.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great idea and I love that you use your slow cooker - pinned! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like high fives and are always appreciated to let me know you are checking this out. Constructive criticism is always welcome.