Poster Board LOL Its not what you Think

True to my behind the 8 ball status, I am still finishing up planned Christmas presents….

I even had an extra month to finish this one, because my daughter travelled back to North Carolina to visit her sister and grandmother over winter break.

Well, better late than never has always been my theory.  Early in the fall I found a whole bunch of cool posters on clearance at Michael's  and since I was planning on giving her some motivational gifts, I thought, this is perfect!!!

I had purchased some boards from Home Depot and with no cutting whatsoever one just happened to line up perfectly.  ( For more about my love of Home Depots cut board bin, check this out

I about had a heart attack when I saw the price of Modge Podge, but then I remembered PinterestI am not even going to try to say who was the original poster of this, because soooo many people claim that it is their idea.  But, I will say, it is not mine and if you would like more detailed instructions, a quick search on Pinterest  will give it to you.  So I purchased some cool duct like tape in Pink Glitter (at 40% off of course, see more on this coupon tomorrow) and some glue  then  headed home. 

I quickly washed the board.  I took an old clean spaghetti sauce jar and emptied the glue into it.  I then refilled the glue bottle with water and dumped that in also.  A thorough shake and there you go Homemade Modge Podge.  Another quick search on Pinterest  will give you lots of tips on a more professional appearance with your modge podge products. 

I painted a layer of modge podge on the front of the board.  Then carefully laid the poster down, trying not to get any air bubbles, didn’t happen.  So I went and got my squeegee out of the shower ( yeah, I know, but it’s the only thing I had to use) and smoothed it out.  All perfect except for one small imperfection. 

I then painted the whole board and poster and set aside to dry over night.

In the morning it was all dry and pretty, as a side note, I understand that you can also add Glycerin to your mixture if you want it glossy. 

I cut the glitter tape to size and applied.  Voila… a beautiful new decoration!

Now with this being made out of a board, it would be rather difficult to hang, although not impossible.  I designed this as sturdy enough to stand in the corner of her room at the sorority without needing to hang. 



Check out the Places I’m Partying page to see where I am linking up this week!

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I love it! On Sesame Street when I was little they made decoupage glue (mod podge) and I have made my own ever since. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karen, hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a stand alone poster! Thanks for the homemade modge podge tip as well as the cut board idea! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danni-thanks for following along, I hope you enjoy the blog. Comments are always appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks great! I should have done that instead of using spray adhesive to attach a poster to a board on a damp day...bad results. So the homemade modpodge did not make the paper wrinkle? That is a great tip to know. I saw your post over at "At the Picket Fence"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It did not wrinkle, just a few air bubbles that I had to get out. The fake modge podge put a thick coat over the poaster and I think it would stand up to my four year old. Thanks for stopping by, come back again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I love it! :) thanks mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this...very good tutorial! I'm also your newest follower!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marilyn, Thanks for joining in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the glitter tape! How cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didnt even know they made glitter tape.. thats awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job.. and I am sooo glad that you just introduced me to Glitter tape.. my life may never be the same again! Thanks so much for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party.. can't wait to see what you share next!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like high fives and are always appreciated to let me know you are checking this out. Constructive criticism is always welcome.